Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Insecurity All Around Us

I was watching a video that was posted by my spirit daughter, Keiya Mavita, on Facebook by Eve Ensler on Ted TV. The video really set me back in my chair and got me thinking about how insecure the whole world is. In other words, our collective shadow in the world is really scared! What are we so afraid of? I think Eve Ensler was mostly referring to our physical security and how there are many villains that appear to threaten our very existence. Citizens in countries throughout the world are relying heavily on their governments or local law enforcement to protect them, only to find out, in some cases, that their perceived protectors are the perpetrators. Oddly enough, the citizens of this world have given up certain rights in order to gain some sense of feeling secure.

This has certainly happened in the US following 9/11 with Patriot Act 1 and 2. For example, law enforcement authorities can detain you indefinitely with no probable cause, call you an "enemy combatant," and never be allowed to see a lawyer or go to trial. The definition of an "enemy combatant" is very vague and left open to interpretation. When I think about the freedoms that we have given up, I am reminded of a quote of Ben Franklin's that goes something like this,..."those who sacrifice liberty for the sake of security, deserve neither..." Yet we, as citizens of the US and the world, will give up our liberties over and over again when we are presented with a perceived threat to our lives. Why do we do this?

When the Iraq War was getting cranked up in early 2003, our government was trying to convince us that Saddam Hussein was a bad guy, had something to do with 9/11 (not sure what),  had "weapons of mass destruction," (don't know where they are), and that Iraq was an imminent threat to the US. I thought, so the US is the only country that can have WMDs? I also felt that if Iraq actually had WMDs, that our government should show the weapons inspectors where they are and prove it once and for all. That never happened and we went to war under a "perceived" threat. Myself, I never bought that sales pitch.

Maybe this is the kind of thinking and feeling that we have to summons within ourselves in order for us to withhold our liberties for ourselves and maintain our freedom. These kind of events give us an opportunity to call on our spiritual warrior to determine if the battle and sacrifice is a worthy cause or not. We can no longer trust the actions and words of our governments to tell us the truth about the reasons for going to war or giving up our liberties. Because, as it turns out, going to war in Iraq had nothing to do with the reasons that our government told us. It was all about the oil and money. Oh yeah, and about the fact that Saddam Hussein was trying to re-denominate Iraq's oil from the US dollar to the Euro, which would have crashed the US dollar. Hmm, this sounds a little familiar to the current events in Libya. Apparently, Qadaffi has tried to do a similar thing by coaxing other African countries to re-denominate and refuse the US dollar and the Euro and use the gold dinar in trading for oil.

The point is, these wars and Patriot Acts have nothing to do with making us more secure, because exactly the opposite is happening. Personally, I fear my own government more than I fear any terrorist or perceived outside threat. I want my liberties back! Some of the things that have happened globally in the last 10 years make me feel less secure and less free. Not because of what some terrorist did, or possibly didn't do, or is going to do. But because of how governments all over the world have reacted to these "perceived" threats.

As always, whenever I get into things like this, it's about me...and you. Our world is but a mere reflection of what is going on inside of all of us. For myself, I definitely have had and still have, to a certain extent, feelings of insecurity. I have wrestled with these feelings all my life. In the past, I have had my insecurity issues brought up in my face around being in intimate relationships. As a matter of fact, love was intertwined with security. Whenever I felt secure in relationship, I mistook it for love and vice versa. I can honestly say that today, I no longer do that. I am now more secure within myself and therefore have the ability to love without any agendas.

But I do still have insecurities around money and have all of my adult life. Financial security has always alluded me. There have been times that I have felt more secure than others and that feeling of security is directly related to how much money I have in the bank. It is now time for me to disconnect the feeling of security from money, because I know that money is a "perceived" sense of security and the lack of money is a "perceived" threat.

So where does this sense of insecurity come from and how can I and humanity move beyond it? I think this is a big one for all of us. As I'm writing this, I have no idea what the answer is. It is deep and burdensome. But my insecurity comes from a fear that all my third dimensional needs will not be taken care of. When I think back on my life, there has never been a time when my needs of food, clothing and shelter were not met. That I am truly thankful for! But I believe all of us can think of a time in our childhood when our emotional needs were not met. Could my, or anyone's, financial insecurity be connected to emotional needs not being met as a child?

Let's talk about it this way. If our emotional bank has little or no currency in it, how does that make us feel? If emotional deposits were not being made, or in some cases, not being sought after, how is it possible to feel wanted or secure in ourselves? As adults, we can no longer expect our parents or someone else to just fall over themselves to come to our emotional rescue and make "deposits" in our account. But sometimes we do just that to fill our holes or "emotional bank accounts" of insecurity. It is time for me and all of us to seek out emotional connection and take action in making "deposits" into these nearly empty emotional bank accounts. We have to take chances to be honest and bold about who we are and how we're feeling with the significant person in our life, which is sometimes a therapist. This in turn, I feel, will make us feel better and more secure about ourselves. After all, we are who we are in the context of relationship.

Maybe if we all make a choice to do this, we will be taking back our power, become more secure and free within ourselves, heal the collective insecurity shadow and feel safe and secure within our own skins dispelling any threats, no matter where they come from.

5 comments:

  1. This is such a great post in so many ways! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig it, green-man! Maybe it has something to do with our technological progressions surpassing our own social evolution ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading and commenting, Catherine & misaligned! But I think our technological progressions have been more misdirected rather than surpassing our social evolution. I feel we could have made decisions to use the technology for advancement of humankind rather than oppression or aggression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what misaligned is saying is that our emotional maturity has not progressed at the same rate as our technological advancements. Which brings us back to emotional insecurity. When all of our needs are met -- Bingo. Personally, I have never felt safer in every way in my immediate day to day life than I do right now. All of my needs, TODAY, are being met. I am sovereign unto myself and hold the belief that we always have everything we need in any given moment. And we are finally gaining the psychological, emotional, and spiritual tools to further develop and connect the dots. Bingo! As far as financial insecurity - the same abundant source exists for all of us. My book is one of these tools for discovering the sovereign self in relationship to all-that-is. Now available at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Plant-Devas-Herbal-Medicine/dp/1591430852/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1308841032&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed, it has been our social/emotional immaturity that made the decisions on how we have used technology. But I guess you could say that technology in the hands of a socially/emotionally immature person would be like giving a six month old baby a toy that was designed for an eight-year old.

    ReplyDelete